Did you know that there are ways to indulge in mouth-watering sandwiches without worrying about finding bread that doesn’t contain detrimental additives or costs a little fortune? Once you check out the ideas below, you`ll get addicted to them and forget about the packed bread obsession for good!
9 Amazing Bread-less Sandwich Ideas
- Barbecue salmon lettuce wraps
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 tblespoon of fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and sliced
- 2 oz smoked salmon
- 1 small seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
Place the lettuce leaves on a plate and spread them with cream cheese, lemon pepper seasoning, and the smoke salmon. Top with onion, put the cucumber slices among the leaves, and top with tomatoes.
- Red bell pepper sandwich
- 5 slices of tomato
- 2 slices bread (sourdough used)
- 2 tsp vegan buttery spread –
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup pepper jack Daiya cheese shreds
- Half a cup baby spinach
- 2-3 thin slices roasted red or yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup (handful) of fresh basil leaves
- pinches of black pepper
Spread the sides of the bread with a buttery spread. Place one slice of bread, the butter side down on the Panini. Add the toppings, top with the other slice, butter side up. Grill for a few minutes.
- Paleo sweet potato buns
- half a cup of sweet potato puree (100g)
- 100 grams coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 30 grams tapioca flour
- Half a teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 6 eggs
Wrap the sweet potato in foil and roast for an hour. Puree the potato using a blender. Grease the pan with coconut oil and preheat the oven to 350F. Mix the coconut flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, tapioca flour, and salt.
Whisk the sweet potato puree, melted coconut oil, lemon juice, honey, and coconut milk. Then, whip the eggs until foamy, using a stand mixer. Pour the liquid mixture while whipping. Then, sprinkle the dry mixture over the liquid one, and mix with a spatula. Pour the batter into muffin pan and bake for half an hour. Allow them to cool, slice, and enjoy as a sandwich.
- Grilled eggplant sandwich
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (8 ounces), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 loaf crusty bread (10 ounces), such as ciabatta, sliced in half lengthwise
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Clean and lightly oil the grill before heating it. Mix the garlic with a tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush this oil on the cut sides of the bread and grill for a few minutes. Top with cheese.
Brush the eggplant with oil and season. Then, grill for 15 minutes. Put the eggplant on the cheese. Repeat the same with the tomatoes. Layer them on the eggplant, top with basil, and enjoy as sandwich!
- Gluten free tapioca wraps
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g) tapioca starch/flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 7 oz low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 egg at room temperature, beaten
- 2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
Simmer the milk for a few minutes, turn off the heat, and stir in the tapioca flour, salt, and oil. Let it cool down before running it through a food processor. Then, add the beaten egg and pulse until the mixture becomes stretchy and thick. Add the grated cheeses and pulse once again. Remove the dough from the food processor, divide it into equal pieces, and freeze them for half an hour.
Heat a casket and place each of the pieces on a flat surface sprinkled with tapioca flour. Divide the dough into 5 pieces, dust each of them with tapioca flour, and roll out into a circle-8 inch in diameter.
Put the first cycle of dough onto the skillet and cook for a few minutes or until the wrap can be removed with a spatula. Repeat the procedure with the remaining pieces.
- Plantain tortillas
- 3 medium Plantains, peeled
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup water
- Half a teaspoon of salt
Blend the plantains, egg salt, and coconut oil and blend until well combined. Drizzle water until the batter reaches the wanted consistency. Pour the batter in a small circle on a parchment paper, place in the over, and bake for ten minutes. Remove from over, flip, and bake for additional ten minutes.
- Cucumber subs
- Laughing Cow cheese
- Low sodium Turkey lunch meat
Simply remove the flesh of the cucumber and fill it up with the ingredients above.
- Tomato avocado burgers
- 4 large tomatoes
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb / 453 gr grass fed organic ground beef
- ½ + ¼ teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 2 teaspoon of fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado, divided
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of mayo
- A handful alfalfa sprouts
Cut the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds along with their membrane. Mash half of the avocado until smooth, and then add the mayo, lime juice, yogurt, and cumin. Add the remaining avocado along with ¼ tsp salt.
Season the beef with salt, chili powder, and black pepper. Divide it into four portions and shape them into thick patty. Grill the patties for a few minutes on each side.
Grease a skillet with olive oil and cook the halved tomatoes until brown. To make burgers, put a large pinch of sprouts on the bottom of the tomatoes, top with the beef and two tablespoons of avocado sauce. Place the other half of each tomato on the top.
- Portabella halloumi burgers
- 4 portabella mushroom caps with stems removed
- 3 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 2 thick slices tomato
- 2 thin slices halloumi
- Sea salt and pepper
Wash the mushrooms, heat the grill, and mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Put the mushrooms in the mixture and when the grill is hot, grill them for a few minutes. Add the halloumi and grill on each side for about two minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
You should assemble the burger using the mushrooms at the bun, hammoumi as burger, and the tomato and fresh basil leaves on the top. Wrap and enjoy!